Thursday, June 27, 2013

Netbook problem resolved

Well after all my moaning about the netbook, it's working beautifully inside of my friends house! Go figure. It was actually a connection issue. She called AT&T, they are still having wifi problems with the router.  At least I feel better about the computer now! A day & an evening of needless stress....


Still have that program to get rid of, but compared to all I was thinking, this is much better!
Thought I'd better send this update after my "mournful" post of earlier!

When I first brought the netbook in, I got limited internet. Then finally, the router started working again. I think they are planning on upgrading.

I am also going to check into what it would take to make my air card stronger out in the RV. I won't be here forever & want to be able to connect if I get into poor access areas. Which I will because I have Sprint. And I'm grand fathered in with the air card, which is getting kind of old. So probably needs a booster of some sort. A booster would not be a bad idea as it can also strengthen the cell phone. Last year, when I got stranded at a State Park in Arkansas, I had to use the help of strangers to aid my poor broken RV. (the transmission went out as I was driving around the park, looking for a site)

Thank you everyone for your advice! It never goes uncounted & we all learn from each other.

Oh and as far as the hard drive on my Compaq goes. I remembered I have my old HP laptop still that was rebuilt a few years back. It's old & antiquated, can't deal with today's standards. But maybe I can move the hard drive into it or use it for parts for the Compaq? I could still use either for video/photo editing, then transfer to my external hard drive. I'll ask my friends tomorrow. I'll owe them a great dinner if it works, which will be well worth it!

10 comments:

  1. Glad things are resolving themselves. A word of caution about the booster. A couple of years ago I was in a poor signal area and decided I needed a booster and it did help. I have used it one time since and question the wisdom of the purchase for so little use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, thanks for sharing your experience. Where I am now, service is poor. I will wait to see how the new service works out when they get it connected. They are strongly considering upgrading at this point. Plus the upgrade will also give them some cable tv, which they really need! The RV of course, has the amplifier on the antenna, so I don't drop stations like they do inside the house.

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear it was not your netbook...I don't know tiddley winks about computers....if it weren't for Joe and Best Buy, I guess I would not have one...

    Hope you have a fantastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am very glad for Joe & Best Buy then! I enjoy your blog & your comments as well!

      Delete
  3. Yippee - so glad things got resolved and you're back in business again. That is a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can feel your relief - same as mine over the last week. Isn't it funny how one day we are so "up to here" with all this stuff not working right, then the next morning, it all looks and seems to work better. Thank goodness. I'm really glad things are going better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny. It holds us hostage! I'm on my air card right now. The wifi is once again giving me limited service, which means I can't get on the internet with it.
      I wish I could upgrade with another air card, but I'd lose the grandfather plan if I did. There's no using the phone as a hotspot for me as I like to keep the internet on for hours sometimes.

      Delete
  5. Oh good. Many times, rebooting a router fixes it up. They are somewhat magical in how they do things ;-), taking a while to get going and some weird things can hang them up. When in doubt, reboot. Part of the problem with the air card and getting things for an old one is that the network is getting re-done with newer technology. As that happens, there are fewer towers sending out the old signals and if your aircard can't read the newer signals, you end up getting worse and worse reception over time.

    An antenna and amplifier can help a lot - if the card can handle one. It is just radio signals. I've heard decent reports on the Wilson Sleek that holds the device to amplify it without a wire. A wire is always better but many cards/phone have no antenna jack to connect to. Using the booster in all but perfect conditions will strengthen the signal resulting in faster speeds and lower battery use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary. They've been dealing with the router issues for a few weeks now. We think a power surge damaged it. They've told my friend to do almost everything except stand on her head & balance the router on her feet! I hope they switch over to the Uverse system instead. It'll cost the same for them & they'll get more out of it.

      Thanks on the antenna info too. I will have to check that out.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave comments, I do read them and sometimes, I even learn something!

I do not allow spam links or spam comments. Those get deleted.

Have a good one and Live the Life you Love!