Tuesday, June 25, 2013

It's a good day

Day 2 after surgery.

It's been a good day!

I've put the boot on & was able to walk a little bit.

Mostly just to go outside & dump my a/c water from the portable a/c, but hey, I was able to do that!
So no flooding in my RV!

Walked around the RV a little bit, which kind of doesn't count for much since it's a small RV, but I could do that.

I got hungry, so decided to do a little bit of cooking. Made scrambled eggs & turkey bacon.

I bought a cast iron pan awhile back. It's a small sized one that I thought would be great, but I'm not so happy with it. It smells funny?! Do new cast iron pans smell funny? I've used it for a few meals, but the food off of it tastes funny too & I usually end up throwing it away. Again, is this because it's a new pan & needs breaking in? Is there a way of treating it to stop it from smelling funny & making the food taste like cast iron? I've done the seasoning thing to it, but that didn't make a difference.

Anyhow, I also managed to do my dishes. It took me 45 mins to do that, sitting on a stool at that. I have this great fold up stool that I can sit on & sometimes use it as a small table too. I didn't have many dishes to do, it just took me longer because of my current condition. Soon, that will get better though!

I'm amazed how well I am doing actually.

Yesterday, I had some pain, but it was tolerable. Had some swelling, which started to concern me as I was losing feeling in my toes. And my leg was swollen too. My friends husband is a nurse, so he came out & checked on me when I texted them to tell them I was concerned about it. He tested my toes & said if it gets worse, no matter what time it is, to call him. He showed me what to look for. This morning, the swelling was definitely down though & I could move my toes much better. They still feel a little spongey, but nothing like they did last night, so that's good.

I didn't sleep much last night either. Ended up taking vicodin at 5am just so I could sleep. Then woke at 7 something this morning & felt ok. A couple of hours later crashed again. Now I feel really good.

I'm also attached to the pain pump too so I think it's doing a good job of keeping the pain away. My last surgery was more difficult & I had more pain & such back then. I've only had to take a vicodin & a naproxen once, so that's all good. Took the naproxen to try to get the swelling down. Today, I can move my toes & actually feel sensation in the bottom of my foot, so that's all good.

Before I know it, I'll be back on my feet again!!

I'll be back in the dog show ring, finishing Birdie's championship!

And I'll be able to take the RV out again too.

I want to go to Pa as soon as I can to see family & escape the heat here. But I have a feeling I'm stuck here for a few more months though, so we'll see. I'll have several weeks of physical therapy ahead of me once the stitches come out.

I have an appointment on Monday for a bandage change & they'll remove the pain pump then too.

I'm good! I really, really am!! :-)

I can't wait till I can start taking care of my dogs & kitties again too. I miss them. I hope in the next day or two, that will be possible.

Ack, getting a cramp in my right calve again! That's not fun. Had one yesterday that turned my vocabulary VERY colorful!!

Again though, recuperating in an RV is the best!!

My computer is done for. I need to sit down & log all that needs to be saved from the hard drive as I had many, many folders & divisions in it where I stored stuff. I really should have saved it when I noticed the computer was going down sooner. The day I tried, the computer said nope, I'm done in. Oh well. At least the hard drive can be saved to move stuff from.

Don't know when I'll be able to get another computer, but for now, I have this little netbook to carry me through. So that's good.

I'm going to try to catch up with ya'll now.

Man, this keyboard is sensitive. I keep hitting wrong buttons!

~As always, be kind to your pets, clean up after them on your travels & respect your neighbor~

26 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your positive outlook. May the recovery continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you go right on feeling good once the pain pump is gone. I was lucky in having Dave to wait on me when I had my knees replaced. Glad to hear you have a nurse as close as the house to answer any concerns you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foot is so much better today. Most of the swelling is gone. Downside is, I feel too good & have to watch not to overdo it. Just took my meds & made myself lay down for awhile. Instead of sitting up with my netbook in my lap. Yes, it helps to have a nurse on hand too.

      Delete
  3. That's really good news. Hope it continues!

    You can get a 1 terrabyte usb drive (that's 1000 GB) for less than $100 that you can save all your hard drive stuff on and then plug into the new netbook for adequate storage. That would get you by for a long time. I would copy as much of the old hard drive as I could, then you would have it and can delete what isn't needed on it rather than miss something later. Your typing mistakes could just be the drugs! If you fine it is too hard, get a keyboard to plug into it. That's what I do to make typing more comfortable - old geek that I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, that's a whole lot more than I need. I have an external hard drive. My friends have the gizmo to transfer my stuff over to it. I've already invested so much into the netbook to spend anymore. I will eventually get another workhorse laptop, but for now, will use netbook. I also have a perfectly fine desktop in storage. Problem with it is no space in the RV. I have to get used to the keyboard on the netbook. It has a nice little keyboard on it. IIts like a mini computer with an 11" screen. Coming down from the 17" lapyop, that's a difference.

      Delete
    2. Haha, now that was a cell phone typo on an even smaller keyboard!! Tsk tsk. I kind of like lapyop though ; -)

      Delete
  4. Glad to see the recovery is going well even though there is some pain. You'll be back on the circuit soon!

    Erik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erik. No pain today...which I might be paying for later! I may have done a bit too much today?

      Delete
  5. That's good news. Keep up the good work, soon you will be back to your routine and showing dogs! Aren't you glad that's over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took so long to get approvals, tests, etc. I sure am glad it's done now!

      Delete
  6. So glad you are feeling better...thanks for the update. Hope tomorrow you feel even better!
    Sometimes if you bake an iron skillet in the oven with lard, it will "season" it. Before we started RVing, I had my grandma's old skillets...used them for everything! I rarely ever washed it...just cleaned it with oil and a paper towel and rebaked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It claimed it was seasoned when I bought it. I just don't know. The iron smell it has really annoys me. The only pans I have to cook on at my friends are two big cast iron pans. They don't smell like this one does. Mine is small for RV & single person usage. Theirs are big & HARD FOR ME TP PICK UP. Oops, hit caps key.

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear you're on the mend! Hope each day is better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're feeling better and the swelling is going down. Never fun but with your good attitude, you'll be on the go again soon. Don't know about the pan other than seasoning it with unsalted lard and baking it in a slow oven for several hours. Don't even know if you can buy lard anymore so shortening may have to do. I used to love cast iron but it's just too heavy to lift anymore, plus I can't use it on my range at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Heavy Donna. Mine is small. Maybe next winter, I'll try to season it again....or give it away.

      Delete
  9. So happy you are feeling a lot better. Every day will be a bit better, take care and get lots of rest. I don't think chicken soup will help, but it tastes good and is easy to heat up. :)

    Can you purchase an external hard drive, or a large capacity thumb drive to transfer all the important files over to for the time being? That's what I had when my computer crashed, and I was so glad to have something here, ready to go. Carbonite is also good, they store your stuff "in the cloud" and it's available at any time to re-download. If you have important things in your folders, you don't want to lose them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara. I do have an external hard drive & am kicking my butt for not keeping up with transferring files over to it when I should have. Not smart of me. :-/ I'm lying low today. Did too much yesterday.

      Delete
  10. outstanding news, Cyn ... but jumping jeeez if you have to wait a couple of months to escape the heat... man... July and August ought to be outlawed in Texas ... well, the whole damn south for that matter...

    was it last year you had to come back for surgery in the heat of summer or the year before ....

    well? maybe this surgery will end it all and you can go wherever your little heart desires... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn, it was last summer. I went up north to visit family, but that was vacation. I had to come back to start more medical stuff & after that was when the TTS returned, to discover the cyst. Hopefully, this will be the end of it all!

      Delete
  11. Happy to hear your on the mend and you have a great attitude. But remember not to over do it.
    You speak of a pain pump, After my knee surgery I had some kind of thing on my leg that would pump up and down to keep the blood moving, and keep the swelling down. Is this what your pain pump does?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. NO, this is a pump filled with pain meds that keep the pain level down by a slow release method through a cahterter into my leg. It also reduces swelling & aids towards faster healing. The difference between the previous surgery & this one is really big. The last, more swelling, more pain, could not walk for 4 days. This, I was up on the second day, most swelling gone. So yes, downside is, with little to no pain, it's easier to overdo it. However, my foot still talks to me, so I know when to quit.

      Delete
  12. Glad to hear you are feeling better. You sound very upbeat. Several years ago I purchased a cast iron skillet and had the same problem. I think the old cast iron pots are better. Or maybe you need to use it over a very hot outside fire. Seasoning it in the oven may not get it hot enough

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments, I do read them and sometimes, I even learn something!

I do not allow spam links or spam comments. Those get deleted.

Have a good one and Live the Life you Love!