Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Nature in the back pasture

When I got the camera, I wanted to get some nature shots with the new zoom lens. 

I got LUCKY! I got this guy! 




How cool is that! It's a Pileated Woodpecker. I've been trying to catch one for 3 years now. They are shy & pretty much stay away if anyone is outside. They are actually quite big - known as the crows of the woodpecker world because they are big, kind of clumsy & very loud. Yep, that's how I heard him! I heard the noisy wingspan as he was flying to that tree. Then I heard his loud pecking at the tree. I had to be very careful to stalk the tree with minimal noise as not to scare him off. Got it! Then he flew away when I tried to step just a little closer, but I was able to catch him on video as well. I was shooting in weird light too. Against the sun, but in a very black shady area, so I'm happy that I got anything at all. 
The photo image isn't as clear as I'd like, but I'm glad I got anything at all. 

I didn't get any other bird photos...they all seem to disappear when I appear! Little stinkers. I can hear them in the front of the acreage when I'm in the back & vice versa. 

I did get a Mockingbird on the video, the Pileated Woodpecker & a really sharp image of a dragonfly. 
Oh & a vulture in flight. I have to practice up on flying birds. They are hard to track in flight! 
If possible, watch the video in HD for a better image. 

Please enjoy! 





~As always, be kind to your pets, clean up after your travels & respect your neighbor~

6 comments:

  1. I did enjoy! Thanks ...I would say it was your lucky day! I have never seen a pleated woodpecker .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen them from afar, so it was pretty cool that one actually landed on a tree here!

      Delete
  2. Looks like you've got yourself a great new camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having so much fun with it. Now if only I'd read the manual & really learn how to use it huh?

      Delete
  3. Great pictures so clear. I don't know if you mentioned what kind of camera this is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, it's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70. Now how's that for a mouth full of words! I am having fun with it! It's nice to have a camera again that can do a good job.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave comments, I do read them and sometimes, I even learn something!

I do not allow spam links or spam comments. Those get deleted.

Have a good one and Live the Life you Love!